Maintaining and improving sensitive species habitat takes good data and the means to deliver actionable information for recovery plans.
However, the legacy software and spreadsheets common to habitat work require too many steps, excessive time and can result in inconsistent analytical outputs.
As a leading technology provider serving organizations with Red-Cockaded Woodpeckers (RCWs) our team provides modern tools which automate digital processes, making habitat work simpler, faster and more consistent.
Technology has advanced dramatically over the past 20 years. Natural resources analytical tools from the 1990s have not evolved to fit the needs of the modern workplace.
- Field data from GPS hardware devices requires several steps to transfer files, make conversions before being useful in office GIS software.
- Biologists are often working with inventory data copies which makes it difficult for their analysis to reflect current conditions.
- Field data recorded on paper is handled later when keyed into office software, consuming excess time and potentially introducing error.
- File based habitat data on PC makes sharing between team members or external stakeholders difficult.
- Older custom software like the RCW Matrix is not supported, current and limits information sharing within teams or modern devices.
- Present methods cost time, make it challenging to produce consistent results and to promote an up to date view of habitat efforts.
RCW Cavity Trees, Clusters and Partitions generated from next generation tools displayed in ArcGIS Pro
A New Approach for Today's Natural Resources Professionals
Teams charged with RCW management have the opportunity to improve outcomes through more predictable and reliable digital processes. Our strategy provides a real time view of program key performance measures from cavity tree status to analytical reporting.
- Single Version of the Truth for RCW programs (through a Esri data model in ArcGIS Online) in real time eliminates differing ‘versions’ of program information.
- End to end automation of workflows from cavity inspections, geolocation of new cavities, cavity status changes, partition boundary creation, forest inventory, basal area for partitions and stands to analytical outputs.
- Single entry point of data entry eliminates data handling in multiple software and files.
- Ability to perform quick cruises with Prism when there is no forest inventory available.
- A real time view of all program metrics from basal area, habitat suitability, mid story composition, forage acres and recommendations such as burns or mid-story removal.
- Anyone can make updates to cavity trees on a single data source from any device for a real time view of program performance.
- Spatially based across all components and data to include cavities, forest inventory, partitions and existing management units.
- Agile analytics for fast re-work of partitions and inventory as ground conditions change due to silviculture treatments or gained or lost cavity trees. /li>
- Higher resolution inventory parameters for TPA and BA through spatial inventory rather than stand level previously used in the Matrix. /li>
RCW Toolset Solution Diagram
Reach out to learn more: email@example.com
IT Compliant and Built to Function Over the Long Term
In today’s information rich, work from anywhere workplace, information must be easy to find and use, secure and accessible on modern devices while also being IT compliant. As an Esri Business Partner working with large agencies, we provide tools which reflect current IT standards and which are designed to function reliably for years to come.
- Built on Esri’s ArcGIS which is approved and in use in most agencies.
- Leverages ArcGIS and Microsoft resources already in place in most organizations.
- Minimal custom software components allows tools to stay up to date and relevant since their core components are kept up to date by Esri and Microsoft.
- Except for smart phone apps like Prism and Esri’s field maps, no PC based software installs are needed, making the solution dramatically easier to deploy and maintain within restricted IT environments.
- Supports large inventory programs with regularly updated rolling inventories which feed RCW analysis – see image below showing an example which uses Prism to maintain a real time forest inventory which also serves RCW analytics.
Large Inventory Program Supporting Forestry and Habitat Decision Making – Displayed in ArcGIS Pro.